Posts Tagged ‘ivsl’
My username and password arrived for the Iraq Virtual Science Library! I can now take the system for a test drive and figure out how to design a seminar on the IVSL for the graduate students at the University of Duhok.
Date I applied: 6 May 2009
Date I received my login: 13 October 2009
Time required to approve my request: 166 days, or five months and a week
Number of days after I left Iraq that the request was approved: 151
Barriers to adoption of new technology….
Here’s a resource for the University of Duhok. Wikihow is a website where people can post how-to manuals. It has a Kurdish language page.
Rather than have my manual translated into Kurdish, I hope that some people at University of Duhok will be able to post short articles describing individual resources on Wikihow. For example, here are some tasks that might require a bit of learning:
- how to register for IVSL access
- how to access JSTOR through IVSL
- how to find a course syllabus at MIT Open Courseware
- how to run a quick query at the World Bank WDI site
- how to use Google Scholar
- how to write footnotes/bibliographies with Zotero or Endnote
- how to install R on your computer
I’m sure you can think of more.
I can’t write these in Kurdish, but I bet the students at UOD can.